View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
They were talking about this a long time ago... Normally, I think Tim McCarver's an idiot, but I have to agree with him here, it's a completely ridiculous idea... If you want two Wild-cards, then they should strip each league back down to two divisions. It would increase the odds of having the 4 best teams in each league, and at the same time, make the schedules a little more even for comparison... Hypothetically(based on this year's results), 90+ wins for the Rays(if they get there) should be more impressive than 90+ wins for the Tigers, given that the Rays play more games vs. the Yankees, Red Sox and Jays, while the Tigers play more vs. the Twins, Indians, White Sox and Royals.. Interleague play(while I think it's a fun idea), should also be eliminated, because it also contributes to un-even scheduling for comparison.
I like your idea better than how it's currently done - I've never liked the tiny divisions. It would be similar to MLS, but fewer playoff teams, assuming you mean that one division could produce both wild-card teams. I also completely agree with you regarding interleague play, but I'll also add the reasoning that it destroys the magic of the World Series.

Too bad your ideas aren't conducive to higher profits, or I'm sure they would get implemented.

But I do think that Tim McCarver is still an idiot, even if he got lucky on one idea.