View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Interesting response....so, essentially what you are saying is that ALC's selection for the 6 super-prints was to balance out League represen-
tation (i.e., 3 guys from the AL, and 3 guys from the NL).
And, I like your choice of pitcher, namely Plank. He is an interesting one to round out the American League with Cobb and Chase (the "darling"
of New York....where ALC was located).

But, Eddie Plank was "yanked" for whatever reasons. Perhaps, a better choice for an AL pitcher would've been Cy Young (1908 Boston 21-11).

The thing to keep in mind is....that many of the guys that were included in the 150 and 350 series of the T206 set were selected during 1908
and early 1909.

In 1907 and 1908, the Cubs and Detroit were their League's Champions. With the Cubs beating Detroit in both of those years' World Series.

Best regards, and thank for your thought-provoking response.

TED Z
I hadn't considered balancing leagues. That makes some sense.

I was figuring they used those 6 to skew the balance of the overall print runs towards their bigger markets. - NY customers would want to see more NY players etc. if the biggest markets were NY, Chicago, Detroit, ..... Philly is right up there.

If they were picking based on overall career, Young would have made a good choice. I picked Plank because of the odd distribution of his cards. 150 series- withdrawn? But then a few 350's. So maybe the problem that caused the withdrawl was "resolved" but blew up again? or maybe they got permission to use up some old inventory by adding SC 350 backs? So I figured him as a good choice, included in the 6 but again withdrawn when things went bad and replaced with Chase. That is of course just a crazy guess without much to back it up.

Steve B