View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hey guys,

In my last 4 posts here, I'm simply illustrating that American Lithographic continued to print these six super-prints in other Tobacco sets that they
produced during the T206 era, and post T206 era (1912-1919). I will soon post the info on the "dark cap dudes"....Matty and Chase.

Furthermore, many more subjects that 1st appeared in the T206 set, were continued in the subsequent American Tobacco Co. sets (T213, T214,
& T215). For example: Baker, Bender, Chase (trophy), Cobb (bat off shoulder), Crawford (bat), Griffith (bat), Jennings (both), Johnson (pitching),
Lajoie (bat), McGraw, Reulbach, Tinker, Wheat, Willis, CYoung (glove), etc., etc.

POP reports and surveys suggest that these six super-prints must have been double-printed with some of the brands. And, this is quite plausible
since COBB, MATTY, and CHASE were very popular ballplayers. So were TINKER--EVERS--CHANCE in that era.

So, here is today's TRIVIA quiz......why didn't American Litho. select TINKER as the sixth subject (instead of a 2nd Chase pose) ?

Your thoughts regarding this question will be appreciated ? ?

T-Rex TED
Maybe a regional thing? The group has 1 detroit player, 3 cards of 2 NY players and 2 Chicago players. I'm thinking the mix is either the 3 largest or most competetive markets, or the 2 biggest and they just couldn't leave Cobb out. Maybe they had a deal with him beyond the regular fee? Lower fee if he was in more product including his own?

So maybe Chase got 2 because they wanted better balance?
Or someone pulled out of a set? Maybe a Philly player? Plank?

Chase had a better year in 1910 than Tinker, and was an improving player in a huge market. 1911 turned out to be an even better year for him.
Tinker had an off year in 1910 and while popular may have been thought of as fading?

So plank pulls out - maybe for a second time, Chase makes a balanced group by market and is popular and improving.

Steve B