View Single Post
Old 01-04-2024, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Scott,

How does the Wagner W600 compare to the Cobb?
As Ryan pointed out, the W600 Wagner Street Clothes is scarcer than the Cobb, but not by much. I have not done a tally of known examples but could get to 5-6 pretty quick off the top of my head. The Street Clothes hold it back versus a Uniform pose. All that being said, it too is a prime candidate for a breakout sale due to the fact it is rarely ever offered for sale and certainly not since the market too a leg up post 2019. The extreme rarity of both the Cobb and Wagner Street Clothes and lack of auction appearances does not build up the steam as it has for the T206 Wagner as they make regular auction appearances. Some cards as we know are too rare for their own good. That being said a Wagner Street Clothes has not been publicly offered in many years, the last was the Heritage piece in 2019 and REA in 2020, each before the market for all things Wagner moved substantially higher.

Additionally I did a quick bit of pop work and have 7 Wagner Street Clothes that I am aware of and there are surely more, it is probably a higher pop card than the Cobb, as Wagner was available from SL from the get go and his Uniform pose is surely the easiest of all HOFers and possibly all players due to his immense popularity and orders from SL by many, many fans. Cobb W600 was not available until 1907 well into the W600 cabinet's offering and interest had waned in obtaining them from the general public. I am sure Kevin could give a more accurate head count on the Wagner Street Clothes population.

One other item worth mentioning, I assume the numbers of sales provided was from auction transactions. As Ryan and others can attest, many of these key items trade privately from seller to buyer or brokered deals from a 3rd party. So, it's quite likely the number of $1m sales is double what is tabulated from the public offerings. Much as like what takes place in the rare art world, automobiles and other high-end collectibles.

Last edited by sb1; 01-04-2024 at 05:17 AM.