View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Whenever I see things framed like this, I cringe at the thought of light damage. I know there are ways around it, for example plexiglass or composite blocks 99% of UV rays. What I don't know, is if the protection lasts forever or if you would need to replace the glass substitute every serveral years over time. I know some of the one-screw cases say they protect UV rays, but for only 3 years or something. So guessing it does not last forever. There are also steps you can take to not use flourescent lighting, etc. To me this is all too much - which is why most of my collection lives in a dark closet and comes out only briefly for me to gawk at. ;-)
I would never expose autographs or valuable cards to any kind of light for any length of time, and direct sunlight will fade anything, but for most kinds of display pieces, it's been my experience that you can frame them with regular clear glass and put them on a wall in a room with normal artificial lighting, minimal sunlight, and controlled heat and you will not live long enough to be able to spot any fading or other deterioration with your bare eyes. I've had my B-18s on a wall in my office for 25 years, and I doubt there's an instrument that could measure whatever miniscule loss of color or vibrancy has taken place in that time. I would say the same about the many vintage photos, posters, and other items I've had on my walls for decades now. If there's been any degeneration in any of them, my eyes aren't good enough to see it. I like to look at my stuff, and I think if you use common sense and keep them away from any light from windows and other sources of light or heat in your rooms, you can do that without worrying about damage to your treasures. In fact, whenever I get something matted and framed I like to think I am protecting it from the air that is the natural enemy of anything made out of paper or cloth.