View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I do not collect boyntons.

Hypothetically I have a card worth $1000 based on recent sales.

I list the card on eBay BIN/Best Offer for $1200. I set my offer limit at $800 with anything below that figure getting the auto-reject.

That does not mean I will necessarily sell the card for $800.

Scenario #1 - Ten minutes after listing the card I get an offer for $950. Do I sell? No, maybe my price point is too low and I choose to wait for a number closer to $1200. This could explain why my BIN price is higher than I think the current market is.

Scenario #2 - While the card is listed, my neighbors house burns down with his son's baseball card collection which I helped him begin. I might give the kid the card in such a case to start a new collection.

Scenario #3 - A hobby friend whom I have dealt with before expresses an interest in the card and wants to know if I have wiggle room. I like the guy and let him have it for $900.

Scenario #4 - (assuming unlimited bid rejections) A stranger on eBay offers $50, then offers $100, then offers $150 and so forth finally reaching $800. Would I be obligated to accept his offer? My answer is no. The BIN price would still be $1200 and my floor of $800 is designed to weed out such clearly unacceptable offers. Offers of $800 or more would be considered on their merit and be influenced by whom the buyer is, how long the card had been on the market and whether I felt a need or urgency to sell it for an undermarket price and not because some bidder feels he has hit the jackpot by hitting $800 on the nose.

Finally it's only cardboard so I would never get mad.

Gotta go, my dumplings are ready.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-25-2014 at 03:55 PM.