View Single Post
Old 02-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Jimmy Claxton and his 1916 Zeenut

Posted By: Julie

Mark Macrae owns one, and has sold at least two (he offered me one, but I didn't want to pay $3000 for it). The story goes, Jimmy Claxton was playing on some coast league team in 1916, and the oakland Oaks (?) needed an extra pitcher for the second half of their double header on Memorial Day. Jimmy Claxton had been calling himself an Indian, which he looked about as much like as most Mulattos do. He pitched the game but (this is from Mark, who got to know Jimmy's son) someone in the stands identified Jimmy's parents and--get THIS--thought there was too much difference between their colors (he should see Jeter's folks!), and reported Jimmy as passing, or one of his parents as being married to the wrong race, or some such foolishness, and Jimmy Claxton played no more for the Oaks. However, that very day, the Zeenut people were there, taking photographs for the 1916 Zeenuts, and Jimmy Claxton got himself on a card. Which sells for about $3000, and is hard to find.

For some reason i wasn't especially interested in the accidental appearance on a Zeenut card, but it's true that Jimmy Claxton is the only black guy you'll find on an American baseball card till 1947.