View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default Mastronet, I may be wrong here but let's here opinions??

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

that Doug comes on to respond. That's a stand up act.....

I think that MANY of the auction houses tend to get away from picturing any more of the LOWER quality stuff in their auctions because of the whole aesthetics issue of it. You don't want to picture low quality stuff because in a sense it drags down the rest. They also, I think incorrectly, assume that since it's lower condition that the buyer will be okay with whatever is wrong with the lot.

I would like to see what causes a G card to be G if possible but realize it's not really feasible to picture every card in a 200 card G/VG T206 lot. They are going to picture the higher $$ cards as Doug illustrated in his earlier post but it would also be nice to see the backs. Especially when the backs could call into question the reason for the downgrade in condition. Hopefully with the technical upgrades Doug has outlined, probably paid for by the increase in VIG (had to get that dig in....), we'll continue to see vast improvements in the images of items on their site, realizing it's not possible in the print format to picture as much as online.

In Doug's defense, if you CAN get to Chicago to view auction items, they provide A#1 hosting.....Selling a large lot of cards in 2002, I dropped by their offices and he spent over an hour just showing me around, talking about the lot and other items and was very generous with his time and would have spent more but I had to leave. I realize it's not always feasible to fly in to Chicago but for someone who's planning on ponying up a ton of cash in an auction, a couple hundred bucks for a roundtrip plane ride might be money well spent.