View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Default neat civil war/baseball sword

Posted By: mike mullins

Did anyone else happen to read the "Questions to the Seller" at the bottom of the page? Here is one comment submitted by an interested party:

"
Dear Seller, Just wanted to add some information about this amazing item. The owner of the sword is confirmed by the Civil War Research & Genealogy Database, as follows: Robert H. Ellis Residence was not listed; 35 years old. Enlisted on 8/1/1861 at New York City, NY as a Quartermaster. On 10/16/1861 he was commissioned into Field & Staff NY 61st Infantry He was discharged on 9/26/1862 Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.: - New York: Report of the Adjutant-General (c) Historical Data Systems, Inc. @ www.civilwardata.com However, the regiment should actually be the 61st New York Infantry, which was indeed known as the Clinton Guards. The regiment saw a great deal of action during the war. It would be neat to find out how the sword got to Kentucky or Tennessee. Was it captured? Did Ellis move there after the war? Anyway, best of luck with all of your auctions. Cheers, Kevin Callahan Denton, TX
"

I don't know if that lends anything to the authenticity of this item or not.

ANYTIME I SEE A LISTING IN ALL CAPS HOWEVER, I HAVE RESERVATIONS ABOUT THE ITEM BEING SOLD.

mm