View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 12:00 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
I do not question the explanations of why these cards received the grades they did. But, damn, these are nice baseball cards, which in the era I started collecting would be regarded as near flawless gems! Discussion about them would be centered on how beautiful they appear and the attributes they possess, as opposed to what they lack.

So in today's world we slab them (and yes, I recognize the need for TPG of SOME KIND), the result being we focus on the grade, not the beauty of the card. It makes me think this forces many collectors to miss the forest from the trees. One of my father's favorite expressions was to focus on the donut, not the hole.

I think many people would enjoy the hobby a lot more if they took their cards out of the slabs and displayed them as raw cards. Keep the slabs if you want a record of their technical grades, but if you display them raw without the ability to focus on what the grade signifies they lack, they might appear even more beautiful.
I'm with you Corey that the hobby could really be a lot more fun if the emphasis was simply on acquiring a presentable card that we were proud to own. The numbers on the label, IMO, are worthless. But I suspect we are in the minority here, so it is not likely to be a popular idea.

I remember the reason that supporters of TPG's gave for why they liked slabbed cards is that before the advent of grading, the hobby was like the wild west and grading offered some protection. But after recent events the hobby sure seems like the wild west once again. And I think it's possible that third party grading solved some problems but created a whole host of new ones. Again, I am probably in the minority here. Nothing new with that.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-21-2019 at 12:02 PM.