Thread: Mariner's no-no
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Todd Schultz

I must respectfully disagree that a no-hitter from multiple pitchers is more impressive or a greater feat than the standard one hurler no-hitter. It may be rarer, but that's because a starter is almost never pulled while he has a no-no intact. A starter has to show endurance and some guile, as each hitter gets to see him and all of his pitches at least three times. Relievers can simply let it all go for the 3-5 batters they see--batters who have not seen them before and will not see them again--and some relievers can be brought in for purely situational reasons, i.e. pitching purely to their strength for a couple of batters. Frankly no one pitcher really impresses me who can hold a team hitless for just an inning or even two, and having a few who can do it in the same game is not all that breathtaking either, IMHO.

All that being said, I still give props to the Mariners for silencing a hot and potent team.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-10-2012 at 11:10 PM.