View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 07:30 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Thanks Rob, Clint and Mike!
Mike, if you own those Vandy and Reds pins, they are truly in AMAZING condition. Very nice!

Mike, regarding the relative scarcity of the 1939 Vandy 1.5" pin:
Just speculating here, but these were likely produced for the 1939 World Series.
Despite Vandy's spectacular and storied 1938 season in which he tossed the back-to-back no-hitters, he struggled mightily during his 1939 sophomore season.
So much so, that he was sent back to the minors to work on his mechanics. He played a very limited role with the 1939 ML Reds club & actually did not play in the WS.
Perhaps the limited production was due to some/all of these factors, but I guess we will never know...
Scott, I was lucky enough to find a group of pins several years ago which included the two pins I posted earlier and the ones below. The Reds really had a lot of pins during that time period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F6F472E5-77E7-46E1-9569-AA9CC090982F.jpg (17.7 KB, 480 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown