View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 10:32 AM
David L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I meant old must, not that new kind you can buy at Rite Aid.
Yeah, I know what you meant. That's actually what I'm taking exception with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
Any suggestions on how to eliminate or prevent mold?
Like I said, really the best suggestions are all preventative measures.

(1) It's best to know how to recognize the signs that there could be mold on an item.

(2) It is important to examine your collection periodically looking for mold as well as other developing problematic issues.

(3) It is crucial to be cautious when adding any foreign items to your collection. That last part is why I find the blanket statement that "a musty smell is a good thing" to be troublesome.

Honestly though, don't take it from me. I'm some guy on a message board that you've never met. The Society of American Archivists (SAA) and the American Library Association (ALA) have a plethora of resources regarding recognizing mold and doing item-level assessments. They're also a great resource for understanding preservation strategies and developing disaster plans. In my opinion, these resources are invaluable. A web search will reveal a lot of that info.

Just a note here. I'm not trying to start a flame-war or put anybody down. I just want to contribute to you all making your own informed preservation and collection decisions.

Oh, and as far as recognizing fakes. Take your time and learn about the printing techniques of the time. Such information will be invaluable when making an informed buying decision.

---David Luft--

Last edited by david_l; 09-20-2016 at 10:35 AM.