View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Rick P

And I can't help but asking myself...how in the world does something like this wind up on a folding table next to a "Cootie" game?

And then I remember something that happened when I worked in the Internal Audit Department while a student at Oklahoma State University. We were tasked to audit football ticket printing and distribution as part of our normal duties. While doing an audit, I noticed a large box of old trophies in a cardboard box that was sitting atop a large trash barrel. I asked one of the staff members about it and they told me that they were "getting rid of old stuff to make room for the newer ones in the trophy case."

I went to the box and the first thing I pulled out of the box was a large silver basketball trophy awarded to 1945 NCAA champ Oklahoma A&M for defeating NIT champ DePaul in a Red Cross Benefit game in New York. That game featured the two dominant big men of the 1940s...7-footer Bob Kurland and 6-10 George Mikan...whose play led to the creation of the goaltending foul.

I promptly walked into the AD's office and asked him if they were really going to throw these away...and as I suspected, he didn't agree with the staff's decision. Last time I saw them, they were back in the trophy cases where they belonged.

But if I hadn't happened to be there that day...