View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Default Paperloss on Front + PSA = 4

Posted By: Kevin Savage

I am the ebay seller of the card in question- and after reading the responses on this board- I am defintely rethinking my ebay consignment policy.

As a point of reference- About 2 months ago- I received back from a grading service- a T201 Cobb graded a 5 with a "somewhat obvious" pinhole. I sent the card back to the grading company who "properly" put it in a 1 holder. They were genuinely pleased that I did this. I think it was the right thing to do.

It is a little tougher however when the item is a consignment piece(not owned by us)- as this is- which we had graded with about 75 other cards- for the customer- as was his wish so we could later sell them on ebay for him. In my opinion PSA "got it right" on all but 5 to 8 of the cards we sent in for him. In my customers opinion- the "gift" he received on this card helps make up for "how he got killed" on several others.

I guess my dilemna is do I turn away a customer who wants to consign $40,000 in cards(with the potential for a lot more)- because I am insistent on him having the Lajoie card regraded- and sold at what I think is the proper grade?(Please remember I cannot produce any kind of "Upward grading change" on the cards he thinks he got "killed on".....) Or do I list all of his cards on ebay with a full
front and back scan- offer a return privilige on every card- and truthfully answer all questions pertaining to the listed card? In the second scenario(what I did) am I doing "ethically enough" to protect the consumer?

I would think with the scan on ebay- the Lajoie card would sell for a "1 or 2" price. Maybe $400 is the 1 or 2 price today. Maybe it's not.... In the end if the customer doesn't like it - they can send it back for a full refund.

I know "grading" errors makes everyone crazy- but I just know that there are going to be mistakes- (both high and low)-it is a demanding job- as I make mistakes every day(even though I'm not trying to- and my job is not as demanding....). Is it unethical to sell any card which I do not personally agree on the grade with the grading company?

It is tough having 2 masters(The consignor and the consumer)-
but we are in the business of providing a fair business environment for all concerned parties. Maybe we could have done better here-let me know- as it is not my intention to mislead anyone in any transaction.

Kevin Savage