View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 07:07 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I think they just put the occasional wrong sheet of card stock into the press.
That was my initial assumption as well. But we're talking about an extremely large amount of cards printed with this stock. Even if we assume that it's just a coincidence that the two people that have checked their sets have found one in each, three sets in total coming from three different vendors, we're talking about two entirely different print runs in the regular non-glossy Fleer that was issued in packs and factory sets and the Fleer Glossy print run that was only issued in the special factory tin sets.

The odds that this is an occasional sheet slipping in and it happening in both print runs and both Al and I getting them in all 3 sets are probably around the odds of you getting attacked by a great white shark and a grizzly bear simultaneously.

I think we need to find out if this is isolated to this one sheet or if the entire set is available. That will go a long way in determining what happened. I'm not sure how Fleer printed their '87 set. I don't know if they farmed out the job to different printers or if it was all done in-house somewhere.

It's certainly perplexing how the three sets seem to suggest a good amount of these cards were produced yet each set only contained one card.

I think at this point though, I'm going with the theory that Fleer took quantities of regular, non-glossy sheets of their cards and then applied gloss to them in order to build their Glossy tin sets. As opposed to doing a separate and unique print run. That would at least explain why the cards are found in regular and Glossy format.

The only picture I have of the sheet with Canseco/Lansford/Aguilera is very small and therefore quite blurry when I blow it up to see who else is on it. But, I'm fairly certain Puckett, Pete Rose, and Kevin Mitchell are also on the sheet if anyone has large quantities of any of those players' '87 Fleer card to check.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx