View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Default Pennant fever!

Pennant Fever: The Story of a New Obsession

So until recently, I was just another run of the mill baseball card collector. I didn't own a single pennant. Then I started reading this thread. I noticed a change in myself partway through. I began to get an itch, then an urge, then a fervent need to have pennants. A couple weeks ago I began scouring ebay for every baseball pennant listing. There were tons of cools ones that I just HAD to have. I put opening bids on 20 or 30. I watched 30 or 40 more. I checked the listing multiple times a day. But the fever hadn't completely overwhelmed me. I realized I had no idea of values or scarcity, so I wouldn't do any crazy bidding until I got the price guide. Plus, I needed to focus, start with getting a single team. The KC Monarchs pennant was awesome, but out of my price range. So I decided to start with getting KC A's pennants --doable, weren't in existence that long, there were several cool pennant for sale, I decided I really wanted one of the cool white elephant ones. Gotta get a white elephant!

So I got my first pennant. Late at night there was one I put in a really low bid. Within five minutes the seller accepted, without even a counteroffer (uhoh. For those who don't know, not a good sign)

See photo. Take a moment to study it closely, if you've read this far . . .
Did a dog chew off the end?

Oh, you say. Well. Um--er--well it does have character. Hey, if you like it, that's cool, people should collect what they like, as long as you enjoy it, and condition doesn't bother you, good for you . . .you must be a big Knicks fan.

I say --no not at all. Don't care at all about the Knicks. Never even lived in New York, or anywhere close.

Oh you say. Well at least you started an NBA collection.
I say true, but I don't care about the NBA --don't collect any basketball stuff.

Oh. You say. In that case, CONGRATULATIONS! You got your white elephant after all!

(I actually love the vintage look of my white elephant. Though I am hoping to get some other white elephants in the future)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0346.jpg (81.2 KB, 269 views)

Buying or trading for lesser condition Butterfingers

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Member of Old Baseball Cards