View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

I love this topic. The best two stories I have happened to me personally. A number of years ago when I was in my vintage collecting infancy I figures I could never afford a original T-206. I found someone who had advertised a bunch of repriunts and I figured I would get a few for the few bucks he was asking. I purchaed two Cobbs and a Tris Speaker. I asked where he found them he said he bought a box of misc. stuff at an auction. He wasn't into cards but figures he could get a few bucks to get his money out of them. After closer inspection of the Cobbs I could tell they were reprints but very good ones but the Speaker didn't have some of those characteristics. I kept looking at it and copared it to some on line but couldn't tell what was fake about it. I finally tracked down an old friend who was a dealer and expert to look at it. He did a close inspection with the jewlers loop, ruler and other measurments and agreed he felt it was genuine. He went into detail about what to look for. He felt it was a geniune T-206 Tris Speaker and I only paid $4.00 for it!
The other story of mine was a man was selling off his old collection he has for decades. He had amazing pre war stuff including some '33 Goudey Ruths and a Play Ball Dimaggio. While all of those cards sold very high (as could be expected) one card was basically being ingored. I had never heard of the set nor had anyone else apparently so I quick did some research and found the company only produced one year and wasn't very popular. Since then the set has sky rocketed in popularity as well as value but not before I was able of obtain a 1933 DeLong Lou Gerhig for only a little over $100. Definatly the center piece of my collection.