View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett72 View Post
i was doing a search on these and stumbled across this post. fantastic information.

Thanks. It's still a work in progress, and a lot of the info was provided to me by Mark Mosier, who's probably forgotten more about baseball cards than I know.

As noted above, the original 216 stamps were on 18 sheets of 12 stamps each, they were issued with two types of stock and backs, and they were issued for baseball's 1969 centennial but then re-issued and sold throughout 1970 - so they should be listed in the Standard Catalog as "1969-70".

There are 75 stamps unique to 1970 that I've listed below. These players were NOT in the 1969 set, their cap logos are visible/NOT airbrushed, their backs have long dash marks (see scan) and they are slightly smaller than the 1969-70 issue (1 7/8" x 3" instead of 2" by 3 1/4"). These came on 7 sheets (6 had 12 players, a 7th had only 3).

Alomar
Belanger
Bolin
Bonds
Boswell
Bradford
Brand
Butler
Campbell
Cardenas
Carlton
Clendenon
Colbert
Comer
Cuellar
Davenport
Didier
Dietz
Dobson, C.
Dobson, P.
Francona
Fuller
Gladding
Granger
Green
Hansen
Hebner
Hegan
Hernandez, J
Hisle
Hoerner
Holtzman
Hovley
Jackson, G
Jackson, R
Johnson, A
Johnstone
Kelly, P
Kilkenny
Kirby
Laboy
Lemaster
Lyle
May, Rudy
McNertney
Melton
Messersmith
Moose
Murcer
Oliver, A
Oliver, B
Perranoski
Perry
Piniella
Pinson
Raymond
Reberger
Reed
Reese
Romo
Russell
Ryan
Sanguillen
Satriano
Sims
Sizemore
Sparma
Stoneman
Tatum
Tolan
Weis
Williams, W
Wilson, E
Wine
Yastrzemski

There's a THIRD stand-alone issue of MLB stamps/photostamps from 1970 that is comprised of just one sheet of 12 All-Star players. The stamps are the same size as the other 1970 stamps with the same long dash marks on the backs, but they use the same airbrushed logo photos as the 1969-70 stamps. This is also the only sheet that's PERFORATED. The 12 players are listed below. These 12 are the only players that have MLB stamps in 3 formats (2 x 3 1/4, dotted backs, off-white stock from 1969-70; 2 x 3 1/4, solid line backs, white stock from 1969-70; 1 7/8 x 3, long dash backs, perforated from 1970):

Aaron
Banks
Bench
Gibson
Howard
Killebrew
McCovey
McDowell
McLain
Powell
Seaver
Stottlemyre

Hopefully I can put together enough evidence to support getting the Standard Catalog entry fixed (if they even continue to carry this type of issue in the future). If anyone sees any errors in what I've written, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by Karl Mattson; 12-09-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to note that the 12 All Star stamps are perforated