View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I understand the idea that bidding hard early is probably not a great idea. It draws attention to the auction and may feed the flames of bidding. (Unless you think you are just going to run others off the track altogether with your exuberance.) I like to throw in early bids just so I get regular reminders. (I know most auctions have some variation of a watch list.) I agree there is little point in pumping the gas too early, but seems to me that if a seller has decided that I won't take less than x for my item, a sniping serving will do nothing to deter that.
You are pushing on an open door, nobody disputes that. But you seem to think that is the ONLY reason somebody shills, and it isn't. People shill to run you up, for one thing. They can't do that if there is no max bid to run up. And as Paul just said, putting your bid out there gives others more opportunity to outbid you.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-22-2017 at 08:34 AM.