View Single Post
Old 02-17-2023, 07:07 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
O.K. Jim I will flip the script what made you start collecting these? Now if you can answer that then you know why we do...
I’m old school, prior law enforcement. I’m a dinosaur, they tell me. I like writing stuff down on post-it notes better than an electronic to-do list. I’d much rather have a clipboard in my hands than a spreadsheet on my computer. I liked when people came to work every day, and on time because that mattered. I liked when cops hid their tattoos and were clean shaven, when the girl serving my coffee had less rings on her face than my shower curtain…when people came in for job interviews in a suit and their hair didn’t look like a bag of Skittles. I liked when kids showed respect to adults, when men looked like men and the women didn’t.

I liked when all you could think about all week was catching Mel Allen on This Week in Baseball. I liked falling asleep to the voices of Phil Rizzutto and Frank Messer calling Yankees games on 77 WABC over the pocket transistor radio hidden under my pillow. I liked when a card set could be easily built from packs, when kids flipped their cards. When cards were not shiny, refractor, serial numbered 1/1, latest/greatest nonsense. I liked when cards were just fun to collect, not investments based on a price guide.

I like when people sent linen postcards of baseball stadiums to their friends. I liked that baseball players had regular jobs in the off-season to pay the bills. I like that Willie Mays came out and played stickball with the kids in the street. I like when ball players rode the subway home like a regular Joe. I like when a ballplayer gladly signed an autograph because you revered him and wanted his signature.

I guess the pinbacks just remind me of a life that was a little simpler. Like I said, I’m a dinosaur.