View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 04:17 PM

Default Spitballing

Ted,

Very interesting.

Nichols also stands-out as being the only subject--so far as we know--extant with AB350 No Frame but not with any “460 Subjects” back.

I have always grouped Nichols with Doyle (N.Y.), Kleinow (N.Y. Catching), Rhoades (Right Arm Extended) and Smith (Chicago White Cap). These five subjects share an identical back profile, consisting of:

EPDG
Old Mill
Piedmont 350
Polar Bear
Sovereign 350 Apple Green
Sweet Caporal 350/25
Sweet Caporal 350/30
and
Tolstoi

EXCEPT THAT Nichols’ back profile also includes:

AB 350 No Frame
and
Drum

All five of these subjects were shortprinted – and Nichols’ presence additionally with AB 350 No Frame and Drum does nothing to change that given the miniscule contribution of those two backs to the overall T206 population (not to mention Nichols’ apparent shortprinting with AB 350 No Frame).

Not sure where to go with this, except to add that if Nichols was pulled early from printing with AB 350 No Frame he would likely have also been pulled early from printing with Drum – although given the ridiculously low quantity of Drums known to start with, who could tell if Nichols was a Drum shortprint?

I would expect that the confirmed example of Nichols Drum is unique. Can you confirm?

Scot

Edited to Add: I see a Nichols Drum SGC A was sold in a Hunt Auctions lot in 2007.

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_67.html

Anyone know of any other copies?

Last edited by sreader3; 09-03-2015 at 04:51 PM.