View Single Post
Old 04-17-2023, 04:10 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default eBay vs Shows

I am most likely in the minority here, but I think eBay is the better way to shop and sell.

As a buyer the prices are about the same, but you have the connivence of staying at home and using their search engine to find exactly what you want. You save on transportation costs, entrance fees, and paying for parking. If the show is crowded it is a pain searching through boxes or albums looking for what you want. Frequently, you have to ask for a price because the items are not clearly priced. To me, going to shows is more about meeting other collectors.

As a seller, I have found that selling on eBay is better. You don't have to lug your inventory around and set up your booth. Once you list an item on eBay your done until someone buys it. I also like that eBay collects the taxes and give vendors a lot of data and information that helps them build their business.

I know that most of the buy-it-now prices on eBay are expensive, but some vendors will negotiate if you ask nicely.

If you are looking for simply looking for bargains, I have found more deals on eBay than at shows, but it does take some work. To be honest if you want to buy cards at a discount off the high prices at shows or eBay, you have to be a flipper. Buy large lots of cards and sell everything that you don't want, the savings will fund your collection. It has mine.

Best regards,

Joe