View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 05:11 PM
David Linardy

Default Autograph Identification Help: Des Moines Prohibitionists photo

So I got this item today from a gent who owns a slew of items from the Ed Barrow Estate... This particular photo is inscribed to Ed and dated Feb 3, 1940...

I believe it to be the Des Moines Prohibitionist team circa 1888-9

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ID THE SIGNATURE???

I transcribed the contents of the reverse to the best of my ability... there are several 19th century players noted... perhaps the content will help:
"My Dear Ed,

Looking through my old Des Moines collections of photographs... I found one of the Des m ball club taken by Tom James (still living) about 1888-1890. this luck was due to my scotch Irish Blood. So that old photo was saved for future reference and as a token for my love of the sport and old hutchinson-sage, Bug Holliday , Quinn-Alrod sutcliff, Lo Rogers and others you may know.

Can you name them all ed? if so done then send me the list. I had the photo enlarged as you see a rather unusual result.

These were the kings of the slaughtering pen at the old grounds south of th tracks

Those days it was a small club (12) small salary and small attendance, but a mountain of spirit and plenty of fight... About Seven years champs.

That was about 55 years ago???

You can place this among your antiques. Did you not get a lot of inspiration watching these boys play ball-I sure did_ I remember Harry Sage prided himself on pushing players off third and when Silver Fluit? of chicago played in a game he picked off Harry at third. Consternation, Indignation???, ?? all for harry poor boy. But he still had Spirit and fight. I failed to get to NY on account of business and extenuating circumstances

I note much about you in papers in papers etc. but am not asking the price for yours. Hope to see you in the summer

Feb 3/40"

I appreciate any help/feedback
-Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 723_desmoines_1.jpg (35.0 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 723_desmoines_2.jpg (30.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 723_desmoines_3.jpg (36.7 KB, 143 views)