View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Hi Bob- nice to see you on the board, and hope you are well.

You said what I have been saying for a long time. The hobby is changing, the world is changing, and there will surely be a different landscape twenty years from now. My guess is there will always be collectors of vintage antiquities of all kinds, but there may in fact be less baseball card collectors than we have today. We baby boomers collected cards as a kid, and it was a rite of passage. That no longer exists today. A great many 8-12 year olds never even bought a single pack of cards in their lives, so when they become adults they will have a different perspective on collecting them. Yes, it will change, not necessarily for better or worse, but different for sure.

The issue I have is that everything in the world changes too quickly. Look at technology, everything becomes obsolete in a year or two. I can't keep up with that, and really have no interest in doing so. So my point is we should expect things to change.
I agree with Barry but would go a step further. If indeed there are fewer card collectors in 20 years, then I should think values of all cards, as a rule, would decline. It's hard to imagine adults, who never collected as kids, picking up an interest in cards of any vintage. Certainly there will be exceptions, but not enough in my view to reverse a downward trend
in values.