View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 02:20 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think there should be an encapsulation fee and an evaluation fee. It takes almost no effort to authenticate that card and there isn't any grading involved. It's just putting it in a case.
The other part of the evaluation fee is the guarantee that SGC puts their name behind it. That is, if the card is determined to be not authentic or misgraded, SGC will need to shell out the compensation for the new owner of the card at the most recent market value. For example, if the card is graded in 2010 when it was valued at $200 and then sold in 2024 when it is now a $5000 card, SGC would need to compensate the owner based upon the $5000 value of the card even though it would be much more than any grading fee that the original submitter paid. In the situation that I had with SGC a few years back, I purchased a card that was graded 4, but after I sent it back to SGC questioning the grade, SGC agreed that it should have been graded a 2. I then received compensation from SGC on the difference in the market value between a 4 and a 2 at that time.

In this case, like most of the other posters in this thread, I agree that the $85 fee was the appropriate one in this situation.