View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Default Help needed identifying c. 1915 baseball team patch

Posted By: runscott

I spoke with the seller this morning and he said it's likely that it's from the New England area, but there were so many non-professional teams back then that the odds of id'ing it are about nil. It was manufactured by Wright & Ditson (Boston) and although they were well known, most sales were likely in New England.

Boy, did it feel awesome to put this uni on! It fit perfectly, and was as heavy as a light jacket. It still has dirt and dried blood on it. The workmanship on these things is simply amazing. I wanted the 1890's uni (including cap) that Bob McCann auctioned Saturday night, but it went for over $2 grand!

Like most of you, I am a card collector, but sometimes I just have to buy other vintage baseball items, just to see what they look like up close. I have bought loads of bats, a few 1910's gloves, baseballs, caps, even a vintage baseball sweater. Basically, anything related to baseball I've bought, held, thought about, then usually traded or re-sold - I am a "renter" and really don't like owning stuff, but I sure like to look. But this uni is here to stay. I only wish I could have afforded this similar-era Spalding cap, which would have been almost a perfect match:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3630795338&category=16023&rd=1

Do any of the rest of you have the same weakness for other non-card/photo vintage baseball stuff?