View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 05:46 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
You might want to check on who the founding fathers were considering that Christmas was not declared a federal holiday until 1870 when Grant was in office, only 94 years after the signing of the Declaration.

If Christ existed, scholarly research has suggested that he wasn't even born on December 25 but rather around the Summer Solstice. It is because Pagan holidays were celebrated on Dec. 25 that that's when Christmas was celebrated that day, too.

As someone who is liberal, I see both sides of the PC debate.

On one hand, some people need thicker skin and there are those who get offended over the slightest little thing that it's ridiculous.

On the other hand, I see videos and read articles that espouse hate and calls for violence and destruction against so many people and so many different regions. Pastors blame the attacked rather than the attacker, and it's not only people on the internet making inappropriate comments, it's talk show hosts and sometimes candidates.

This is not a Christian nation. There are more Christians in this country than anybody else, but we have the luxury of freedom of and freedom from religion. You cannot establish Christianity as the national religion, nor can you do it at the state level because the incorporation doctrine in the Fourteenth Amendment means the Bill of Rights must also be followed by the states.

If this were a Christian nation, the founders could've put it in the Constitution. Many a times over the 200+ years has our Constitution been amended. Not once is there a specific mention of Christ or Christianity.
Christ existed. To debate that is ridiculous. Even other major religions (Judaism, Islam) acknowledge he existed. Most scholars and even most atheists acknowledge he existed. Now, whether or not you choose to believe he was who he said he was is up to you.

There are many mentions of God throughout the important historical documents of the United States. There are Christian symbols and Christian scripture on many government buildings (many in Washington) throughout the United States. The same can't be said for other religions. We have it written on our currency. Many presidents have sworn their oath on the Bible. I could go on and on and on.

I look at my Calendar here at work and I see holidays of other religions, but they are not Federal Holidays - nothing for Judaism, nothing for Islam, nothing for Buddhism, etc. The Christian faith is the only faith with a holiday recognized by the United States government.

No, Christianity may not be the established religion but, when according to you own words, "There are more Christians in this country than anybody else" then I would say that makes us a Christian nation.

It would be like me saying that "We're not a nation of gun owners." Of course we're a nation of gun owners. You can choose not to own one just as you can choose not to practice Christianity, but overall, yes, we are a nation of gun owners.

If you want to continue this debate (or the one on guns), please put your full name in your post as required per board rules.

I'll leave you with this - the NYC skyline Christmas, 1956.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NYC.jpg (50.3 KB, 74 views)