View Single Post
Old 12-15-2001, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Default Any 19th Century Experts? * Help *

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Many Thanks to Kevin Struss, David Rudd, Ivor-Campbell, and all you guys that have been trying to help!

I'm taking the liberty of posting Kevin Struss email.

Hi Jaime,

A friend of mine sent me a scan of a cdv that you were trying to identify along with your email. Unfortunately, I do not know who the player is.
There were many Enterprise teams in the 1860's - 70's with at least three of them hailing from Pennsylvania: Philadelphia, Allegheny and Renovo.
I assume that since the stamp on the back indicates that the photographer was from Pennsylvania, then THIS Enterprise team was from the same state.

The only significant Enterprise team came from Brooklyn in the early 1860's
and played many of the top teams of the time. This is obviously NOT the
team of your cdv.

Truth be told, most cdv's, tin types and the like from that era picture
players that are not identifiable.

Sorry that I could not have been more of a help.

My best,

Kevin
.................................................. ....
From Fred Ivor-Campbell

Jimmy:

That's a great picture. I do not recognize the player, but I suggest you ask Mark Rucker <trnsgrph@....>, who
knows more about baseball pictures than anyone else in the world. Also, you might like to ask Tom Shieber
<shieber@.....org>, probably the world's second most knowledgeable person about baseball pictures.
And since he works at the Hall of Fame, he has ready access to their files.

If either of these e-addresses doesn't work, check the
current SABR Membership Directory. At the moment, I only have access to an older edition.

Let me know if either Mark or Tom can identify the player.

Regards,
Fred

Note: In fact this CDV appears as plate #63 in Mark Rucker's book "Baseball Cartes"........