View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 04:04 PM

I was doing a Google search on the magazine, and lo and behold, this memory thread popped up.

Whilst I was not a subscriber, nor user, being "out of the game", in early 2010 I happened upon then-current issue number 15, where its editor, Chris Olds, invited readers to answer one of THE questions us card collectors relish discussing: "THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE JUST ONE", an intriguing query regarding what would be your dream card?"

Not having internet service back then, I composed my answer at the local public library. I was in the process of writing my book on immediate post-war regional-food issues, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. If you suffer from infantile attention span, or your card collecting tastes never advanced beyond grade school rookie card mania, please don't bother buying it; it would not be right for you.

Anyway, I happened to own my dream card, one of the subjects in my book. I wrote from memory a rather long, loving tribute to this card. I would have liked to have edited it, but one doesn't always get that privilege.
I got an email back from Chris Olds within a day or two, asking for a scan. With the assistance of my son and the librarian, we sent Chris a scan of my dream card, which I have been extremely privileged to have owned for 30 years.

Imagine my surprise two months later whilst prowling Borders Books and Music---there was my card on the cover of the current Beckett Graded Card Investor & Price Guide (issue #17, May-June, 2010! It was by no means the only card on the cover, natch. Still, I was quite pleased. For some reason, Chris printed my entire email.

Funny--kinda, sorta; thereafter, I never saw another issue released.

I will see if my son can help me scan in the cover of the issue, to load it up on here. Quite an extraordinary occurrence, this. Then too, that's one extraordinary card. Chris entitled it, "ONE MAN'S MANTLE MASTERPIECE".

Spot on. I would not trade my Mantle for any other Mantle on planet Earth. I would say something outrageous and controversial, but on quick reflection, I believe I just did.

Neither here, nor there.

Regardless, I miss this magazine, though I only saw a few issues. Seems most relevant, then and now.

Kind regards to all. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-07-2018 at 08:59 PM.