View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 12:47 PM

Conlon images are tough and for years I have seen some that were clearly done later because of the size identified as "Type 1" but even then you are splitting hairs (1912 photo on smaller sized paper that most likely dates to 1918-1920). I have been working for several years to try and accumulate a database and a more accurate indication of when Conlon made a specific photograph based on paper size and material, but even in those cases he would vary in size from time to time so nothing would ever be absolute. He started small, went BIG to 8x10 around 1908-1915 then went smaller again (rectangular in shape) then more square in the early 1920's. He is also WILDLY inconsistent with his stamping and seemed to use them all over the place. I also believe Conlon would accommodate specific papers and publications and print images for them on different paper if they requested it.

Long story short, Conlon is all over the place and if the image vintage, the stamps are vintage and it bears his markings, its a Type 1 which is absolutely the right thing to do. The 2 year thing is not that important when it comes to Conlon images.

Last edited by prewarsports; 04-13-2018 at 12:48 PM.