View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
I disagree with your opinion on the utility of cards. As stated earlier, the TPGs and online venues have increased the utility of the cards. For art, its a 1 of 1 market (sans the giglees, lithos, and other crap out there). For cards, there is more than one and a standardized grading system, so you have a baseline of what the market is. That baseline is accretive to the utility and thus value of the asset.

But hell, as others say, who cares, we are all dead eventually (and what else am I going to do in the meantime).
This is actually a myth.

There are 5 versions of Rodin's "The Thinker" all in bronze which were created under his supervision. There is also the original production plasters of the statue.

Jacques-Louis David painted 5 versions of "Napoleon at Saint-Bernard Pass" also known as "Napoleon Crossing the Alps" between 1801 and 1805. They are all about the same size at 2.6 x 2.2m. The differences are in the color of the cape and the background. All are considered originals. I saw the 1803 version at The Belvedere in Vienna, Austria in September.

There are exceptions to every rule, but people state the mantra that art is 1 of 1 when there are many cases when it is just not true.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”