View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 12:34 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Agree with Kevin. This post is exactly what is wrong with WAR. Ave, RBI and Runs Scored are 3 of the most important stats. By ignoring them, you are not evolving, you are devolving. The goal of the game is to score runs. The team that does, wins the game, not the one who gets the most walks, baserunners, etc. WAR doesn't care about what wins games, but greatly over values a truly worthless stat, walks. It is also pretty much ignores half of the equation, run prevention. And maybe one day they will truly adjust for park, instead of just claiming they do.

We all understand that raw RBI and runs numbers are flawed, but rather than throw them away and just use fantasy stats, you should look at how players perform when given the opportunity to score runs. Who cares about a guy who walks with RISP and leads to another goose egg? What is truly valuable is the guy who gets a hit and drives in runs.
it isn't made up, it is based on things that are actually to the credit of the individual player. runs and rbi's are determined by the quality of the surrounding players and thus have no bearing on individual production.

I only replied to an insult ,sir. You flat earthers can't yell at us and say 'stupid stats, yer stupid...blah blah blah" and expect to not be belittled in return. If you don't understand something maybe instead of hand waving it away like a child you could go and read about it . (btw I love how ALL THE OTHER EFFING DATA, I posted was ignored and instead I get the tired old anti-WAR argument. )

Quote:
WAR is not science, it is made up (by people who I wonder if they ever watch the game). It will be time to use new metrics when they actually reflect what they are supposed to. Insulting those who observe that the emperor has no clothes is never going to evolve the way we look at stats
its' based on far superior stats and it applies to everyone equally, so even if there are small quibbles with it (and it isn't perfect, but neither are any other stats) the quibbles provide a ratio of performance that, magically, seems to agree on who the greatest players are.

I bet you don't even know what WAR is, how it is calculated or how to figure it out! You just get mad because it's new and you don't like change and refuse to stop believing in the flat earth of batting avg, pitcher wins and RBI'S. well, maybe instead od throwing a tantrum and putting your hands over your ears you could do a little reading.

P.S. none of these modern metrics have anything to do with fantasy baseball.zero, zilch nada. they have to do with doing the work to determine what is ACTUALLY important and not what people just assumed was important. your appeal to tradition fallacy is not an argument

Last edited by bravos4evr; 09-25-2016 at 12:39 AM.