View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Well. After reading all the various opinions, I think I will either have the tape marks and some dirt removed, if it's reasonably priced, or nothing at all if it's expensive or I don't find a place I feel comfortable with. No retouching or repairing of the nicks and tears.
One last question...Does anyone have any recommendations of any companies they have used for this type of repair work?
Thank you all for your help.

Lance,
Based on your research, can you tell what year the image was likely taken?

Al,
Our images appear to be siblings. Does that make us in-laws?

Scott,
the smaller ones I owned that show the heavy silver halide hints are 5x7.

Most of the Burke's I have seen have been smaller in size as well. I have seen the larger ones, but they definitely seem much less common.

Mark
From what I can see, I would say it was shot somewhere in the 1931 to 1937 time frame. That's just by looking at the meager uniform details that can be seen, and cursing under my breath at the Yankees for keeping practically the same uniform style for decades. Perhaps there is some nuance that I am overlooking, but there's not a whole lot to go on for a tighter date it was shot.

Also, not to throw Scott under the bus, but I think he misspoke regarding the smaller photos being 5x7. I don't think I have ever seen a 5x7 original Burke photo, as his smaller prints were almost exclusively 4x6. I have seen a handful of 3-1/2 x 5-1/2 RPPC's that he did, but those seem to be very rare (with his proper stamping that is. Brace and Jim Rowe produced thousands of RPPC's them later on using Burke's negatives). Scott was right though that most of the 8x10's Burke produced have the rounded corners. And the 8x10's are far more rare than their 4x6 counterparts, likely because they were more expensive. The players would primarily order those as gifts for family and friends and use the smaller prints for autograph requests, and though both sizes were available to the public, the average collector would rather have more smaller photos than one big one. I think I've posted the price list below previously, but it seems appropriate to post again. This was circa 1940.

P.S. I'll pay good money for any of the 5 catalog lists he mentions being available upon request, or even for a scan or photos of them. I've never seen anything other than his main player catalog lists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burke Price List.jpg (77.5 KB, 50 views)