Thread: Philly Show
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Well, I know of myself and two other guys who just started doing the show this year. None of us are world class, but I have a nice showcase or two full of clearly marked prewar, graded and raw. Is the show what it was 15 years ago? No. But there are good guys there who try very hard to make their little corner of the show an enjoyable place to visit. It bothers me when I hear "it's the same stuff every time" when I only started doing it this year and my inventory is VASTLY different each time. This time I had t202's from PSA 3 - 5, T201's from 4 -5 and e126's that had never been there before as well as some new T205's and 6's including some hall of famers. If you are going to compare it to "the good old days" then yes, I agree it pales in comparison, however if you want to go it's not like you're wasting your $8. Instead of bitching about the same old dealers selling the same old stuff, maybe look at some of the guys you don't recognize!
I'm not sure that legitimate criticism of a show amounts to 'bitching' but would agree that there are still good points to the show. Catching up with people like Al C. and Kevin Savage is always good. And it's not to say I don't find anything to fill my eclectic, mid-grade collection goals, even if I wind up coming home with more money than I spend. But I stand by my observations. On Fridays, there are consistently tables that are unoccupied, or staffed by relatives or friends who can't help with pricing or opening a display case. I can describe several cards that have been to the show more than many dealers. I'm not a refractor, memorabilia or autograph guy, so those are not a draw for me either. So for three hours round-trip on the NJ and Pennsy Turnpikes on a Friday night, the cost has begun to outweigh the benefits. Now, if you will be at the January PAL show, I'll be happy to visit your table and spend my collecting dollars there, and enjoy a new show that I hope succeeds.