Thread: AH Blues
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 01:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It's all marketing, guys. No matter how many math examples we run, the fact is that consignors hate hearing about a commission. That's why a high BP is the norm: most AHs will waive the commission for a decent consignment. Just like shipping. REA (hi Brian) doing the free shipping is brilliant because shipping pisses off so many customers. It is a minuscule part of the overall invoice from the AH in most cases but it feels like dirt in your eye, especially when the AH charges for insurance to value and you just know that they have a blanket insurance policy that covers to a set limit regardless of value, so it is a profit center.

Scott B is definitely spot-on about other fields and what AHs charge there. We are lucky that we (consignors) can usually get a no commission deal. Try selling an entertainment item; you are nearly always going to pay 35%+ total because the AHs that deal in those materials do not waive their commissions unless the item is astounding.

As for BP splits, well, if you are offering a $100K card for consignment, you have leverage to get a piece of the BP. Nothing wrong with that.

I am not surprised people use PWCC for some nicer stuff. It gets the eBay customer base of eyeballs, the rate is substantially lower than most AHs charge, and cards to cash is fast as compared to other outlets. I don't know what others experience, but it is very frustrating when I consign an item in January, not see it hit the blocks for months and not get paid for another 30-60 days. Particularly if I have a use for the funds and can't wait half a year or more to get to paid.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-23-2018 at 01:36 PM.