View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
The main concern I see to the OPs theory, is this:

If it were OK for a "beaten" card to be numerically graded, while an "altered" card could not, then what would keep a person from taking an "A" card (trimmed for these purposes), and beating it to wear down the trimmed edge, thereby removing all indications of the trimming, in order for it to get a numerical grade?

Also, would this even be a problem?

Steve
This is VERY interesting and I am not sure I know the answer beyond that if you took a trimmed card and beat it up so much that the trimming would be hard to detect then I think you would have done so much damage to the card that it wouldn't be worth trying to even get the numerical grade.

The Wagner seems to have natural wear and does not look like it was trimmed. That along with the known issues on the card would lead me to believe the card would grade. I have had a few cards that SGC has felt weren't trimmed but the wear to the edge was so strong that it did not meet the minimum standards, therefore they are in authentic holders, but not labeled as trimmed.

James G