Thread: $OLD pet peeve
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I've got some crazy ideas.

1. If you think prices should be left up, then when you sell , leave yours up.

2. If you are insulted by lowball offers, you probably should find another business. Really how taxing is it to say "no thanks?"

3. If a seller is asking a museum price for something and it gets you worked up, maybe you should consider another hobby. Really, how hard is it to NOT buy something?

4. If someone is doing business in a manner you don't approve, don't do business with them. Really. No, REALLY.

5. In any of the scenarios above, resorting to calling people out, sending angry PMs, actually insulting them, or otherwise disrupting the peace of the universe is ludicrous. I don't have time to get worked up over everything I disagree with ESPECIALLY WHEN IT DOESN'T HAVE TO AFFECT ME!

Are these little pieces of cardboard (or leather or flannel or felt or silk etc...) really worth the level of aggravation some of you guys put yourselves through? If it's your hobby, isn't a hobby intended to be a relaxing enjoyable pastime? If it's your business, do you really become more successful the angrier you get? This is absolutely NOT directed at the OP, but rather at all the curmudgeons and hotheads in general who are always right.

I recently had a negotiation with a board member whose name I won't reveal without permission. We have done business before and I like him. In this latest negotiation he tried to "educate" me as to the value of my card. The two seconds it took to read the information were pretty painless so I merely responded with my absolute best price. It didn't work out. He didn't call me an asshole, I didn't call him a degenerate, and we'll probably do business again. I guess it's more fun to fly off the handle and act like there's some kind of moral high ground in a negotiation over a baseball card.

You're right!