View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Default Lections on eBay - Chance Not Only Known Example

Posted By: canjond

Maybe I can shed some light onto the origins of the Lections. The person whom I acquired them from got them directly from his father who had collected them as a kid. They were distributed in the Albany area. At that time period, many of the local politicians would campaign via cards entilted "Elections". (I have scans of these, too). The kids at this time would get the Election cards, and play a game with it. A local company out of Albany (from what I've been told) made the "Lections" for the kids - while the adults got Elections, children got Lections...

As for the game, this is how it went - you would flip the Lection against the wall. If it stood upright against it - you got a point. The reason I know this is some of the Lections I saw (and subsequently purchased) had remnants of scores written on the back - prizes for winning appeared to be the card, itself. For example, one card has written on the back - "Winner - Saturday December 9th, 1931" - (There are also lines drawn to create boxes for the flip scores.)