View Single Post
Old 08-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Default Why Insult The Buyers???

Posted By: Cy

Hi Joe,

I don't think this guy was trying to mislead you. It is possible that his price was high. But it isn't wrong or misleading to take the high book value and work off that. In fact that is exactly what Bob Lemke does in the SCD guide.

The SCD sets a high book price and then takes a percentage of that price for the Ex grade card and another percentage for the VG card. These percentages may be different for different sets of cards. But in a specific set, they are usually the same, or very close to the same percentage for the majority of cards.

What this seller is doing (I am not this seller) is telling you that the High Book value is $200 and he is willing to sell the VG card at $55 or 27.5% of high book. There are many collectors who do gauge the price of a card, at any condition, from the high book price. As I stated earlier, the SCD does this, too.

In fact, if you look at the T207 prices in the 2004 SCD guide, the VG grade is approximatelt 27.5% of high book for many of cards in that set, which would result in a VG card selling for $55. I don't see a scam or misrepresentation. He was just giving you the guide for NM and VG. When someone is buying a card, Ttese questions are asked a lot irrespective of the grade.

Take care, Joe.

Cy