View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
My problem with investing big money into any slabbed card, pre-war or not, is a grading company's reputation (i.e. GAI) can be damaged beyond belief and severely devalue their cards overnight. As purely a hypothetical example, what if news broke that any of the big two/three companies was caught giving many faulty grades for personal gain, etc.? Or purposefully slabbing trimmed/altered/fake cards?

If I ever poured $30,000 into a card, I'd feel much more secure putting it into a rare card in general than I would putting it into a nominal card marked up 100x simply because of a grader's opinion. That's always seemed incredibly risky to me. I have no problem with graded cards and especially enjoy the protection they can provide to cards that could be damaged without a slab. But I just wouldn't have the desire to pay that kind of a premium for something based on opinion.
This is why I bought into what I think is the safest bet in the hobby. I wasn't going for a 20k HOF'er OJ which Richard, Keith and Jay already own.