View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
What kind of metric could you really produce for a guy like Mantle though? His cards are already at a pretty high tier in comparison to other HOFers like, say, Frank Robinson. If a PSA 10 1957 Topps Robinson rookie sold for big money I really don't think you'll see an increase in the price for 1961 Frank Robinsons. Mantle and players like him are distinct to me in that they're a head above everyone else and different rules apply.
I guess all I would say is that there is a certain demographic of men with the disposable income to spend 85K or 200k or
500K on a card and for many of them their childhood idol was disproportionally Mickey Mantle. They are wealthy and set and they can afford to buy a piece of cardboard that costs as much as a home. Why do a lot of 60 year old men spend big bucks on vintage Camaros and Mustangs. Because it means something to them. No value judgment from me. Mantle is the closest thing to Ruth out there. Iconic. Larger than Life to some. Marilyn Monroe vs Jayne Mansfield. Elvis vs Carl Perkins. Andy Warhol vs whoever.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-14-2018 at 04:37 PM.