View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 02:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by trambo View Post
Of course someone would take it that way. There's no doubt an issue but it's not a new issue. This is the current iteration of something that's been going on for decades. People trim, color and otherwise alter cards. Those people are bad. That hasn't changed. What seems to have changed are those people who relentlessly beat the drum in front of people who already are well aware there's an issue and bash and bully them if they don't also start beating the drum.

There's an issue. I'm aware. I don't think it's as bad as the people who keep calling me an idiot, stupid, a sheep and lots of other words I don't care to post think it is. I've also not buried my head in the sand. I own and use a ruler. I own several loupes. I don't buy from PWCC. I still collect PSA graded cards. I'm paying attention. So please don't say just because people want to have discussions about other things have heads buried in the sand. It's just that we get it!

I'm sure there are many others who read these boards that feel the same way.
Other than the part about still collecting PSA cards I'm in nearly the same spot. Magnifier, good measuring tools, knowing what to look for.
It's not that I won't collect a card that PSA has already graded, but I probably won't send them any either. And likely won't be interested in paying a premium either. Not like I did in the past, I have maybe 5-6 PSA graded cards, and most of those came out of packs. (I have an ACU-Grade graded card, so obviously even a sketchy grading slab isn't out of the question at the right price. And yes, it's trimmed.)

I also really doubt I'll send any more to either SGC or Beckett. I used to send a few cards to SGC every couple years. Never say never, but I've seen stuff from both that makes me not want to give them any money.

The stuff that's shown so far is bad, and in some cases, it goes beyond what I can see justifying a claim of mere incompetence.
Sometimes I wonder how bad it would have to be before people abandoned PSA?

As far as this thread goes, I think that a suit against two large resellers and the largest grading company is news that goes beyond the "Hey the blowout guys caught another one"