View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I think there's been too many changes to the hobby in the past 30+ years to really lump into ONE era..

While I can understand the series/one shot breakup at '74. I think it's probably insignificant enough compared to other changes that were to come...

I'd probably agree with starting the modern era at '81, due to the expanded competition. From there, I'd possibly put another break at around '91 or '92ish...

Now while I understand how one might look at inserts or high gloss as the BIG change, I really think the biggest change might've come with '92 Bowman(a very similar argument could be made for the '91 classic 4-sport set)...I'd call it the prospect/rookie era... yes, there were minor league sets and smaller draft pick sets before, BUT from this point on, there seemed to be a rush by the companies to get the first card of a player out... Even with MLB's modern rookie card logo and rules, I still think that we're still in this era. Look at the Donruss/Elite sets recently, or the Just minors sets, or Bowman still with their Draft sets. When I usually buy a modern card, these are generally my go to sets.. Autographs/Relics aside, rookies and pre-rookies still own the hobby, and if they also happen to have auto's or jerseys, then it's just an added bonus...

I can agree that the '89 Upper Deck Griffey card, is responsible for this, and it would be easy to just pick that as the cutoff. BUT that was one card. The true change came when everyone tried to re-create the excitement of it... Collecting habits are one thing, but a true change would be when the production followed suit.. Beyond the prospect/draft sets and '92 Bowman, I also think that the re-introduction of (true)series was just another attempt by the companies to chase a players first card(while avoiding the XRC designation)....

Last edited by novakjr; 07-14-2014 at 09:59 AM.