Thread: PWCC results
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 04:08 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That's just not true that all other sellers are being shunned/ignored. I see guys doing just fine with nice cards every day. Perhaps they aren't bringing in world records with the stickered stuff, but otherwise...
Related to this on the stickers, and as someone else already noted, that Young Portrait 4 while nice isn't worth that in my opinion.

From the description - "Shows like a '5' in every way we know to view a T206." - Well, 5s were $3800 cards until Dec-2018 when a 5 PQ became a $10k card. Except this one is actually a 4, not a 5. Four rounded corners, slightly off center to the left = certified high end?

Another example, at least of some description "flowering", the Cobb bat off 4.5. "...four mostly sharp corners...wear to the extreme corner tips...". I would ask that you look again, maybe top left is sorta "mostly sharp" (not really), but the other three are definitely touched with bottom right having a fold (?) and bottom left absolutely rounded. Rounded and sharp do not appear as synonyms anywhere I can locate. Still equals certified high end?

Seems I don't actually understand what these designations actually mean anymore. Seems to me it's just a "prop" used for nice looking cards that has become it's own "thing". We've beaten that discussion to death already, but I guess you can't disagree with the auction results of those stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I got the Matty Black cap PSA 6 for $3,900

I don't know if this is the new normal for the portraits, but if it is I know for certain that I won't be upgrading mine.
I had bid on all the higher grade dark and white caps, but ultimately backed off on all. This was a great looking card, certainly a good price compared to prior two sales over $5k each.

I bid on 70 cards, won zero. Was underbidder on one - the 1928 Star Candy Ted Lyons authentic.

Looking forward to round two of basically just watching TV tonight.