Thread: Dutch Revelle
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks for all of the kind words guys....As I mentioned I am a mere novice to sports cards, but I do find the hobby fascinating.....I have a Norfolk Newspaper article regarding "Dutch" dated ca. 1908 showing Dutch in a pitching stance and declaring him "Best Pitcher in the Virginia League". I believe the title was a result of some sort of popularity contest in a Richmond newspaper, in which readers cast votes for their favorite Va. League player. That newspaper contest affirms my Dads' recollections that Robert H. was known to many as "Smiling Dutch Revelle". The Norfolk Newspaper article also spells the name as Dutch Revell (without the last "e"). I also have an original photo (5x7) of a mysterious baseball team which includes Dutch as a player......No inscriptions or title except for the shirts, which appear to have "White Rock" or something like that on them. (It's hard to make out.) I will scan all of this and attempt to post it for all to see once I figure out how to attach photos to this site.....(remeber I am old and, technologically, still living in the last millenium !!!!!!) Take Care guys...Lou Revelle