View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Scott S

Default Slightly OT: Ted Williams, David Ortiz and my Dad

56 years ago, on a cold and rainy September day in 1960, my dad was one of only 10,000 in attendance to witness to one of baseball's most famous moments - Ted Williams' last home run in his final at bat. In fact, he actually nearly caught it - he is the one in the red box in the picture from the front page of the next day's Boston Globe, as the ball landed in the Red Sox bullpen just a couple of feet out of his reach.

Fast forward to today, poetically another cold and rainy fall day in Boston, and I was able to take my Dad (81 years young now) for the final regular season game at Fenway for David Ortiz. In an ironic coincidence, my season tickets of 13 years are in nearly the identical spot where Dad sat for Ted's last game.

Alas, there was no similar ending today, as Ortiz grounded out in the 9th, but the tribute was incredible, and being able to take him to such a game like this today was a great way to thank him for all the games he took me to over the years.

Based on the passage of nearly six decades, coupled with the sparse attendance for Ted's last game - I can't imagine there are many other folks who could link Ted and Papi's last games. I'm just glad Dad can lay claim to doing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chuck ss 100216.jpg (73.5 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg rrr.jpg (78.0 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by scooter729; 10-02-2016 at 07:58 PM.