View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's all a curious topic, because people are paying me for my knowledge. I'm not selling a product like a piece of memorabilia, unless you consider a piece of paper (certificate) a product. I just consider a cert just a documentation of my opinion. Written instead of voiced.

That's why a tip jar is an interesting idea when giving out something thats not tangible. People pay me if they like the knowledge I give them.

But, seriously, all a collector is required to pay me for is to have an opinion in writing on paper. Feel free to ask me for voiced (rather than documented on paper) advice. I only require payment when paperwork is involved.

The whole endeavor really is a first time experiment for me to see if it's worth my while and if I'll do it a second time. If it turns out I make $1.50 (or $0) an hour for for examining people's photos, I won't do it a second time. I honestly don't have any expectations, beyond what it would take for me to do it again in the future.

A family member has always complained to me that I freely give out authentication advice and opinions to whomever asks for it. She has long said I should charge for my expertise, as a lawyer or psychologist does. I always jokingly respond to her, "But if I charged for my advice, no one would ask for it."

Last edited by drcy; 07-25-2014 at 08:52 PM.