Thread: REA is open
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Hey, I totally understand. Different collectors, different strategies, different ways to manage things.

Just seems to that other than the rare black swan kind of thing you'll see the same stuff again and again in future auctions, so why beat yourself up to get something. But to each his own.

QUOTE=benjulmag;1909636]Steve,

Respectfully while perhaps this is something you would not do, others, including myself, look at it differently. Almost all collectors have limited budgets, and many/most of them cannot afford to buy everything in a particular auction they have an interest in. So they prioritize, and if possible would like the ability to shift to item B if item A becomes too pricey. I'm not sure I understand the absurdity behind that concept.

I vividly remember an auction where there was one item I wanted more than anything, even if it meant spending all my available funds on that one item. So in the wee hours of the morning the price of that item became unaffordable. I then shifted my available funds to other items that I still had a strong interest in, and won a number of them. So while I didn't get exactly what I wanted, I still felt I had a good night, consignors got more money, and the auction was more profitable for the AH.

Yes, I get it that other bidders who did not stay up got shut out of the lots I won. And one can reasonably argue the fairness of that because they refused to stay up to some crazy hour. So that is why I introduced for discussion another closing method so as to better address the concerns of all.[/QUOTE]