View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Default MLB HOF RC ... Is it possible?

Posted By: Brian T.

Not to poo-poo such a quest, but like many, I too started off trying to collect the HOF RC, but soon realized that it was not as enjoyable as I thought it would be. I figured that it would, if nothing else, be a good way to learn about many of the older sets and types and it was. I began making rules due to the nature of the beast, but soon discovered that I would have to spend beaucoup money for very expensive cards of players that I did not know much about or cared little about. It wouldn't bother me to spend a lot on Ruth's M101 card as that would be somewhat expected, but to supercede that number for older, lousier conditioned cards of lesser-known players just ended up not being my cup of tea. My brief foray helped me to focus on what vintage sets I enjoy the most. I am still collecting some HOF's RC (and added Pete Rose's because I like him and he should be in the HOF as a player). I guess I am saying that I don't mind spending the money on a card that I can see holds value or means something to me. You don't have to explain to a layman why you have a Ruth RC and spent some coin on it, but spending similar money on the RC of <insert less known and older HOF here>, was much harder to justify and was less rewarding. I suspect there are others who, like me, allowed the HOF RC quest to mold their collecting to the enjoyable and expensive hobby that it is.

For me, I have started to put together all the HOF cards from the 1933 Goudey set in SGC 80 or better. There are many HOFs in there so I can enjoy this chase, enjoy the set, and not kill myself spending so much for relatively obscure (minor) HOFs. After that, I do enjoy the T204 Ramlys and will probably chase those next. If I get bored and rich, I could chase the E107 HOFs. Above all, enjoy this incredibly addictive and expensive hobby!

(edited for spelling)